Fortinet Launches Hyperscale Firewall, FortiGate 4400F
Fortinet has launched its new firewall, FortiGate 4400F, capable of securing hyperscale data centers and 5G networks. The FortiGate 4400F Network Firewall would deliver unprecedented scale and performance.
FortiGate 4400F is powered by Fortinet’s latest seventh generation network processor (NP7) to offer hardware-acceleration. The hardware acceleration via purpose-built NP7 network processors of FortiGate 4400F uniquely delivers this single compact appliance. It would feature security performance and scale that keeps up with the growth of today’s hyperscale data centers, enabling the following use cases:
- High Velocity e-Retail – It would allow high-velocity e-retail businesses to deliver the best possible user experience for their customers by supporting tens of millions of connections per second. It enables essential layer 4 security, and deliver hardware-accelerated prevention of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
- Cutting-edge research – It would enhance productivity for cutting-edge research facilities and other verticals like oil and gas by supporting the secure transfer of extremely large datasets – also known as elephant flows – of up to 100Gbps. For situations that require encrypting at high speeds, IPsec can be turned on non-intrusively to support high-bandwidth IPsec tunnel flows.
- Financial institutions, cloud providers and other large enterprises – It would allow businesses to launch services in the most agile and secure fashion possible to increase productivity and revenue. By accelerating VXLAN-based segmentation, FortiGate 4400F would enable “super-fast” communication between massively scaled services (such as compute, storage, or apps) that are co-hosted on physical and virtualized domains. These large-scale segments can be protected with essential Layer 4 or advanced Layer 7 security.
FortiGate 4400F would also address telecommunications pain points:
- Carrier-grade network address translation (CGNAT) that enables hyperscale Packet Delivery Network (PDN). At the same time, it would preserve user experience with hardware-accelerated user session setup rates, low latency and hardware-assisted logging for audit and control.
- Critical scale for Security Gateway (SecGW) at 4G and 5G mobile for Radio Access Network (RAN) control to enable services providers to build high capacity networks that maximize return on investment.
- It would allow service providers to differentiate their customer offerings by delivering additional value-added services such as parental control with technologies like URL filtering.
“Hyperscale data centers and 5G networks have the biggest need for security that can keep pace with unprecedented user and enterprise demands,” said Zeus Kerravala, Founder and Principal Analyst at ZK Research.
“Security has long been an issue for organizations with the largest capacity needs – it simply hasn’t been able to keep up, causing many network admins to make the tradeoff between meeting business demands and maintaining a strong security posture,” said Zeus Kerravala, Founder and Principal Analyst at ZK Research. “Hyperscale data centers and 5G networks have the biggest need for security that can keep pace with unprecedented user and enterprise demands. Fortinet is delivering security performance figures that far exceed those of competitor solutions to finally give hyperscale organizations the ability to efficiently and effectively secure their business.”
The FortiGate 4400F, as a part of an integrated security platform via the Fortinet Security Fabric, would also provide security for hybrid data centers as follows:
- Protection from known attacks with AI-powered FortiGuard services including web filtering and intrusion prevention system services
- Proactive threat detection for any segmentation that a customer plans to adopt with a Security Compute Rating of 2x
- Full visibility into threats and removes blind spots with SSL inspection including TLS 1.3 that is 6.5x better than competing products
- Protection of business-critical applications and servers by offering virtual patching using high performance consolidated IPS